Re: booststrapping /usr-merged systems (was: Re: DEP 17: Improve support for directory aliasing in dpkg)

Hi,

On 5/18/23 18:08, Luca Boccassi wrote:

Without it, leaving them in place makes no difference for usrmerged
systems, and allows derived distributions that don't need usrmerge to
continue using our packages.

Not quite. Having packages only ship files under /usr (and possibly
/etc) is very much a goal in itself for a lot of us.

My point is: that is not an end goal, because it provides no real tangible benefit on its own.

It does make sense in the context of building immutable images, which is *also* a bootstrapping problem, and probably worth being supported with proper tooling.

   - there is no guarantee that usrmerge will be permanent or the last
transition of this kind

It is permanent, there are several upstream projects that will drop
support for legacy layouts very soon, and it will not be re-added
back.

You are currently building a "legacy" system, it will just take a bit of time to reach that status. The less you anticipate future needs, the faster this will be.

I understand that you are also a member of one of these upstream projects, and that you are taking the interests of this project to "pretty much the last relevant holdout" here. Has it occurred to you that you are also wearing a Debian hat, and you could be taking the interests of the Debian project to said upstream project?

   - it also solves the bootstrap problem

It also is the least likely to succeed, and the most likely to cause
significant "social" upheavals.

The only social problem I see is that you are trying to create a situation in which other people are compelled to do your work for you if they want it to be done properly.

So far, you have been throwing out "solutions", and left the analysis of the feasibility of those to other people, then, after three iterations, you demanded a full write-up of all existing use cases and blanket permission to ignore anything not brought up in this list.

The thing is: I see more enthusiasm and self-directed problem solving skills from the interns at the company where I work, and at the same time you are one of the top contributors of the upstream project whose ideas of a "supported" configuration we are supposed to follow.

   Simon