Re: booststrapping /usr-merged systems (was: Re: DEP 17: Improve support for directory aliasing in dpkg)

Hi,

On 5/18/23 02:15, Sam Hartman wrote:

     Helmut> I think at this point, we have quite universal consensus
     Helmut> about the goal of moving files to their canonical location
     Helmut> (i.e. from / to /usr) as a solution to the aliasing problems
     Helmut> while we do not have consensus on precisely how to do this
     Helmut> (i.e. with changing dpkg or without). If you believe that
     Helmut> this is not consensus, please speak up.

I agree we have strong consensus that we want to move files to their
canonical locations.

I'm not entirely sure I'd agree that we have consensus that's our
solution to the aliasing problem.

It's the other way around: moving the files as a solution to the aliasing problem is the strongest argument in favour of moving the files inside the packages.

Without it, leaving them in place makes no difference for usrmerged systems, and allows derived distributions that don't need usrmerge to continue using our packages.

If for example we accomplish the move to canonical locations by changing
dpkg, we might well get some form of aliasing support in dpkg.

IMO, that is still the preferred solution:

- it is actually safe, because dpkg knows what is going on and can reject conflicting changes - there is no guarantee that usrmerge will be permanent or the last transition of this kind
 - it also solves the bootstrap problem

   Simon