Re: booststrapping /usr-merged systems (was: Re: DEP 17: Improve support for directory aliasing in dpkg)

    Helmut> Moving on to category 4 feels rather obvious, especially
    Helmut> because work has been done there in debootstrap. The
    Helmut> approach in debootstrap however is one that I see as a dead
    Helmut> end, because it causes us to maintain this code multiple
    Helmut> times. It's the number of derivatives times the number of
    Helmut> bootstrap tools and that doesn't scale.

Like others, I don't find this analysis compelling.
I'd like to better understand why the number of derivatives is in the
cross product.
I suspect most derivatives are going to move to merged /usr, and so I
suspect most if not all derivatives can be treated the same.

What am I missing?