Re: More man page improvements

On Fri, 2020-05-15 at 22:04:36 +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 02:57:28PM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > On Tue, 2020-05-12 at 19:42:02 +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > > I'm workin on stable, if this matters.
> >
> > Hmm, right that would not work entirely. :/ The latest po4a release
> > changed the default for the --porefs option, and removed the old way
> > to change that default, so code that changed the default cannot
> > specify it in a way that is backwards compatible. This should mostly
> > affect wrapping, so I guess I could also relax the Build-Depends, but
> > I assume we'll get flip-flops in the .po depending on where it got
> > updated.
>
> Ok, then I run this in a sid chroot.

I've improved this now in master, and the --porefs value will be
selected based on what is needed, so it should be safe to run it on
stable again.

You'll not get addenda in translations in stable though, but it should
otherwise be fine for testing that the .po files are good, and
translated man pages build. So feel free to keep working in a stable
system if you want, and please let me know of similar regressions in
the future.

> > I'm also wondering about the addenda, which I refactored to specify
> > them only once in the config, but that only works in testing/sid. We
> > removed references to man page authors some time ago, so was
> > considering whether to do the same for the addenda and remove them to
> > match the upstream part, which would also remove that problem entirely.
> > Not sure how that would fly with translators though?
>
> I would rather keep the translators, because when translation issues
> arise they should be known as first point of contact.

Ok, that makes sense. More so because with the switch to POD, the
copyright header (for now) does not end up in the generated man pages,
so even checking the source would not give any such indication.

> Also translation
> is a significant effort often overlooked so having the names there is
> also a way to acknowledge that effort and saying "thank you".

Oh I'm completely aware, I've done translation stuff too and I know
it's an endless ton of work and time, so please do not take this as
undervaluing that work!

I also think documentation is important, but personally I tend to find
AUTHOR sections in man pages distracting (even when I'm one of them :).
First because it's usually not clear whether this is about the
program or the man page, then because it tends to get out of sync with
the copyright header, and finally because it feels like details that
if interested in can be checked in the source code.

> (And except this hopefully temporary issue the maintenance effort for
> your side is almost zero).

Sure, it's not a big deal, and I'm fine with keeping them, so let's do
that then.

Thanks,
Guillem