Re: More man page improvements

Hello Guillem,
On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 02:57:28PM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Tue, 2020-05-12 at 19:42:02 +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > after your recent push the man pages no longer build, i.e.
> > git clean -d -X -f
> > autoreconf -f -i
> > ./configure
> > make -C man update-po
> >
> > fails with:
> > Fehler: »msginit -i po/dpkg-man.pot --locale add_de -o ?po/de.add --no-translator« endete mit dem Wert 1.
> >
> > If I remove the "?", this line suceedes:
> >
> > helge@samd:/tmp/dpkg/man$ msginit -i po/dpkg-man.pot --locale add_de -o po/de.add --no-translator
> > po/de.add wurde erstellt.
> >
> > I'm workin on stable, if this matters.
>
> Hmm, right that would not work entirely. :/ The latest po4a release
> changed the default for the --porefs option, and removed the old way
> to change that default, so code that changed the default cannot
> specify it in a way that is backwards compatible. This should mostly
> affect wrapping, so I guess I could also relax the Build-Depends, but
> I assume we'll get flip-flops in the .po depending on where it got
> updated.

Ok, then I run this in a sid chroot.

> I'm also wondering about the addenda, which I refactored to specify
> them only once in the config, but that only works in testing/sid. We
> removed references to man page authors some time ago, so was
> considering whether to do the same for the addenda and remove them to
> match the upstream part, which would also remove that problem entirely.
> Not sure how that would fly with translators though?

I would rather keep the translators, because when translation issues
arise they should be known as first point of contact. Also translation
is a significant effort often overlooked so having the names there is
also a way to acknowledge that effort and saying "thank you".

(And except this hopefully temporary issue the maintenance effort for
your side is almost zero).

Greetings

                 Helge

P.S. I'll start working on updateing the German man page translation
     tomorrow, might take a few days.