Re: More man page improvements

On Sun, 2020-05-10 at 12:43:19 +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> On Sat, May 09, 2020 at 10:19:18PM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > On Tue, 2020-05-05 at 21:09:05 +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > > #  bug report numbers → bug report numbers of bugs
> > > #. type: Plain text
> > > #: deb-changes.man
> > > msgid ""
> > > "A space-separated list of bug report numbers that have been resolved with "
> > > "this upload.  The distribution archive software might use this field to "
> > > "automatically close the referred bug numbers in the distribution bug "
> > > "tracking system."
> >
> > I think the original is correct here. This is a list of bug-report
> > numbers. Maybe hyphenating here would make this more clear? Otherwise
> > could you say what seems wrong?
>
> Well, you don't resolve bug report numbers, you resolve bugs. So the
> list is of course the numbers, but afterwards you actually close the
> bugs themselves.

Ah! I've changed this now to:

  A space-separated list of bug report numbers for bug reports that
  have been resolved with this upload.

> > > #  Why is this bold but not the others?
> > > #. type: TP
> > > #: dpkg-buildflags.man
> > > #, no-wrap
> > > msgid "B<lfs>"
> >
> > Hmm the other feature names are in bold too. Or are you referring to
> > something else here?
>
> In the po file the others are not all bold:
> msgid "qa"
> …
> msgid "B<bug>"
> …
> msgid "B<canary>"
> …
> msgid "sanitize"
> …
> and so on. I suppose they all should be bold?

Ah right. These are implicitly bold as they are within a .SS title
(the same applies to .SH titles). The same will happen with POD where
=head1 and =head2 titles are implicitly bold.

> > Right, I've got an unfinished patch laying around fixing pathnames to
> > be in italic, but I think I'll postpone this one for now until the
> > switch to POD, so that I can use F<> instead of I<>. There's also the
> > problem with pathnames that contain variable parts, which up to now
> > were represented as B</some/pathname/>I<variable-part>B</rest>, and
> > with all pathnames in italics gets rather cumbersome.
>
> I see.
>
> Hopefully the transition to pod keeps the fuzzy strings to a minimum.

Yeah, I have that in mind to try to reduce it as much as possible.

Thanks,
Guillem