Re: problems with 3.0 format

* Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> [100328 11:44]:
> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> > I'm guess this discussiong is slowly leaving debian-dpkg@ topic,
> > though...
>
> Definitely not. I plan to integrate VCS knowledge in dpkg-dev at some
> point and I like those discussions so that I can make up my mind on what's
> best.

I don't think that this would be very useful. VCS usage can vary quite a
bit and more often then not will not contain any usefull information.
(like some branch just always merged with the upstreams has not much
information except the diff to the unmodified version).

Back to how dpkg-source can help: What I'm missing (don't know if this
is a feature request or a request for better documentation) is some
option to tell dpkg-source (ideally in a way that is already passed down
from dpkg-buildpackage) that in case of a "3.0 (quilt)" package no new
patch should be created but if there are changes not yet recorded in
debian/patches it should abort with an error.

And it would be nice if .gitattributes would be ignored like .gitignore.
And if it would not include debian/.git-dpm into the debian.tar.gz by default,
too.

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link