Re: about dpkg-buildflags

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > There should be:
> > - the default value provided by dpkg
> > - which can be overriden/expanded system-wide with
> >   /etc/dpkg/buildflags (no .d, I don't think it's wise to let random
> >   packages modify the build flags for all packages built on the
> >   machine)
> > - which can be overriden/expanded by the user with
> >   ~/.config/dpkg-buildflags (does it make sense to use XDG-compliant
> >   config filenames for the home directory?)
> > - which can be overriden/expanded by the caller with envionment
> >   variables (DEB_CFLAGS_OVERRIDE / DEB_CFLAGS_APPEND ?)
> >
> > Must we support other operations besides replacing the value and
> > appending more stuff to it?
>
>         Is there a way for the package maintainer to know what the
>  source of the value is? Somewhat like the origin function that Make
>  has?

There's nothing currently, but it looks like a useful feature to include
in the spec indeed. But it needs clarification, what should
"dpkg-buildflags --origin cflags" return when the value is the result
of a combination of a default value + supplementary flags from other layers?

Should it return all layers involved? Or only the latest one that modified
the value?

Raphaël Hertzog

Like what I do? Sponsor me: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/05/5-years-of-freexian/
My Debian goals: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/09/debian-related-goals-for-2010/