Re: Roadmap for the 1.15.x series

On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 17:21:41 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Sep 2009, Guillem Jover wrote:
> >  * Clean up dpkg namespace:
> >
> >    - Rename dpkg-ftp as dselect-ftp.
>
> I'm the maintainer of this one. Maybe it could be merged in dselect
> itself, it would make more sense IMO.

Yeah, I had that written at some point when preparing the mail, but
removed it, cannot remember why.

So yes, I think it makes sense to merge even if we end up splitting
dselect from the source package afterwards. But I'd keep it as the
(renamed) separate binary package, as it has additional dependencies.

> >    - Rename dpkg-multicd as dselect-multicd.
>
> Maybe we could do the same with this one, given that the goal is to
> have dselect a separate source package at some point in the future.

Right, would need discussing with Martin Schulze first.

> > >   - Review of all APIs, cleanup, etc.
> >
> > Something I'd like to do pretty soon, after checking if there's anyone
> > using those modules, but before new code starts using them, is to
> > rename:
> >
> >   Dpkg/Control.pm → Dpkg/Source/Control.pm
> >   Dpkg/Cdata.pm → Dpkg/Control.pm
> >
> > I think the rest of the modules have enough clear names, but it would
> > make sense to check again before we mark them as a public interface.
>
> As I said, I'll take care of this part. Give me your comments and I'll
> take care of them (we should maybe create a wiki page for the API
> cleanup).

Sure, there's also some old function names that would need improving,
and some other stuff, but we can work that out on the wiki.

regards,
guillem