VCS-based source packages and helper tools

Hi,

among people using VCS to maintain their packages, we have a bunch of
people using helper packages (like git-buildpackage, gitpkg, bzr-builddeb,
svn-buildpackage, etc.).

I'd like to know if VCS-based source packages would obsolete (part of?)
those tools, and in general, how much of the workflow will be imposed by
the usage of a VCS based source package.

(Explicitely Ccing Joey as I'd like to have his opinion as implementor of
the git based source package)

Raphaël Hertzog