Re: New Git repository

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Peter Karlsson wrote:
> [1] It seems that the "git merge branchname" that is listed in all the
>     tutorials doesn't work, at least not with the version of git in
> 	Etch. I had to use a more complicated command line on the form
> 	"git merge 'commit message' master branchname".

Right, it's highly advisabe to use "git 1.5.x" which simplified many
command lines and is thus less error-prone.

There's an etch backports in www.backports.org (we have that installed on
Alioth).

Git 1.5 also sets up some standard configuration during the clone to
keep the remote bracnh distinct so that you can directly work in the local
"master" branch and so that any merge is automatically done with the
parent branch.

Raphaël Hertzog