Re: New Git repository

Hi,

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Peter Karlsson wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog:
>
> > I just finished creating the git repository with as much history as I
> > could reasonably gather (old tarballs from Ian, CVS history, tarballs
> > of uploads during the Arch period, and finally SVN history).
>
> How does this change work relating to how translations are done, for
> those of us who had direct commit access to the subversion repository?

I wanted to discuss this topic Christian Perrier, it's not 100% clear yet.
Git is probably a bit more difficult to handle for people not familiar
with distributed revision control system.

Those who can learn git, definitely should do so and integrate their work
directly. There's the sandbox repository precisely so that you can make
some tries and learn.

Ideally we'll come up with some documentation for translators. It will
probably be integrated in this wiki page:
http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/GitUsage

In the mean time, feel free to send patches and to ask questions
concerning git usage. Just don't mess up with the main repository if
you're not yet confident with Git.

There are various possible workflows:
- people can push translation updates in the main repository directly
- we can have a single repository dedicated to translators and the
  developers will regularly pull updates there (this reduce the chance
  that a translator accidentally mess up the main repository)
- translators only use git to get the latest tree and send patches created
  by git-format-patch (and a dpkg developer uses git-am to apply them
  quickly and efficiently)
- ...

Raphaël Hertzog