Re: Create a project on Alioth and choose a RCS?

Quoting Anthony Towns (aj@azure.humbug.org.au):

> Why the change to subversion? Seems very gratuitous?

>From what? From arch or from the CVS?

I think I have arguments for both and I guess this is other people's
arguments:

-working with arch seems somewhat risky at the moment. I'm not sure
 we're all very comfortable with these distributed RCS and this
 currently raises a quite high barrier to people who want to
 contribute.

 We probably need a few more people to join and I'm not sure that any
 of us want to spend valuable time explaining how to use arch, set up
 their own repository or whatever while we can expect that new
 contributors will be easily comfortable with svn (or cvs)

 In the moment we're currently having (setting up a team to get the
 work done), it seems that a centralized repository is more convenient
 for everyone to be really sure of The Right Source

-keeping CVS would seem quite clumsy. The current CVS had no update
 since about 18 months (nearly 2 years), so does not represent all dpkg
 developments.

 There are quite few people that are happy with CVS but there are
 certainly more that are happy with SVN

I'm personnally not a big wizard for RCS stuff, I just happen to work
with nearly all that exist. Actually, the one I'm more comfortable
with is certainly SVN and it seemed to me this was the case for people
who began joining the mini team (except Frank who didn't really tell
what he would prefer. ?..but seems happy with SVN).

I think we probably do no need a "min is better than yours" RSC
discussion right now...but I now this wasn't your intent, Anthony.

Anyway, even if we're doing a mistake for long terms, we'll probably
be able to correct it and change (again) to what seems appropriate
later. Currently, what seems appropriate, imho, is having something
working so that we're ready for release time which will happen quite
soon, after all.