Re: About dpkg translation, please consider i18n when choosing words

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 07:28, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 03:37 +0300, Eddy Petrisor wrote:
> > multiple spaces:
> >  dpkg, string 432 (main/main.c:154)
> > 	"... in this run !  Only co..."
> >  dpkg, string 313 (main/enquiry.c:96)
> > 	"...nstallation.  The ins..."
>
> I'm not sure what your point is here?  Two spaces after a full-stop is
> correct, one would not be?

> > "dpkg not recorded as installed, cannot check for epoch support !\n"
> > "dpkg is not recorded as installed, so I cannot check for epoch
> > support !\n or what?

I'm not sure about two spaces between sentences; this seems to be valid in
English although it is not in most other languages. My personal opinion
is that it is a waste of space ;-)
Note also that double spaces are getting obsoleted because HTML renders
those as a single space anyway.

I am fairly sure that having a space before an exclamation mark (or any
other punctuation) as in both examples above is _not_ correct.

Cheers,
FJP