Re: About dpkg translation, please consider i18n when choosing words

Scott James Remnant:

> > multiple spaces:
> >  dpkg, string 432 (main/main.c:154)
> > 	"... in this run !  Only co..."
> >  dpkg, string 313 (main/enquiry.c:96)
> > 	"...nstallation.  The ins..."
> >
> I'm not sure what your point is here?  Two spaces after a full-stop is
> correct, one would not be?

There should be no space before the exclamation point. And normally you
wouldn't use double spaces after the full stop, either, but that's
minor style-point I guess.

> > please stop silly quoting stile! "`" is NOT the pair of "'"
> GNU standards say otherwise, and dpkg has always used them.

Those standard are old. On most terminals (especially in X) you'll
notice that "`" looks nothing like "'", so these just look ugly.

> > "unable to stat new dist conffile `%.250s'"
[...]
> > stat is not a verb
> Correct, it's a syscall.  This error is reporting the failure of a
> syscall, so has to use the name of the syscall that failed, obviously.

Could you please stop using names of system calls as verbs, or at least
add comments to the strings stating what is system calls and what is
not? Many system calls are similar to English words, so I can see the
temptation to use them as if they were, but they make it very hard to
a) understand if you use the software in English and don't understand
the system-jargon, or b) translate.

In my Swedish translation, I have used something along the line of
"unable to get status of" where the original says "unable to stat". I
would like the English string to use something similar.

--
\\// Peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/