Re: About dpkg translation, please consider i18n when choosing words

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 10:06 +0200, Luk Claes wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 13:32 +0700, Arief S Fitrianto wrote:
> >
> > > Why this explanation is not included in the pot file. IMHO, it can help us,
> > > the translators (at least me), to choose our local word to translate it.
> > >
> > The pot file is generated by automake when I do "make dist", it isn't
> > even in revision control.  Any comments would be lost?
> One can include the comments in the source files (a rather recent post on
> d-i18n gave the required syntax), then they can appear as automatic
> comments in the pot file.
This sounds like one of those kinds of things that only translators know
about; those of us to whom gettext is a strange beast we pay homage to
but don't deal with probably never encounter.

Perhaps when a translator encounters a difficult string, they could
supply patches to help document it for other translators?

Have you ever, ever felt like this?