Re: splitting /var/lib/dpkg/status and handling desc translation (was: ddts notification)

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 02:35:46PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > But if you put the translation in the control file, you have to add almost
> > hundred fields, on per locale: Description-fr ; Description-fr_FR ;
> > Description-fr_CA ; Description-fr_BE just to have the more used french
> > variants (and no, it would not be acceptable to merge all country variant of
> > the language in the language. Think about pt_BR and pt_PT).
>
> Bogus. If you buy wordperfect  does it have 96 different translations
> in it? Of course not, they only put in a few important ones.

stop.

wordperfect is no free software and they can only support some
languages. Get KDE, we have 38 kde-i18n-* packages. This is the
_minimum_.

You say 'few important'. But what languages is important? Somebody
say: throw away English and get Russian. Others like (or better
_need_) Polish, german, Japanese, China, ...

And if we get translators, why not add a some more languages. We have
now in the ddtp only 11 languages at the beginning and we don't have
real support in the project, in dpkg etc.

(btw, the boot-floppies support now IMHO 19 languages.)

If debian is a 'general OS', it will (and must) support more and more
languages. Only some people can speak, read and understand english.

Gruss
Grisu
Ist es nicht jedem selbst überlassen, ob er einen Arbeitsplatz
wählt, bei dem Windows oder Zölibat Pflicht sind?