Re: ddts: notification about pt_BR-translation of the hello-debhelper description

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 03:47:36PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Martin Quinson wrote:
> > Could you please explain what you're thinking about ? I am interessed in
> > allowing end user having translation. I don't really care about the way it
> > is done[*]. But with such a cryptic mail, it's hard to figure what can be
> > done for my perticular problem in your much larger framework...
>
> I'm not thinking of anything in particular at the moment, mostly just
> following the discussion and noting possible issues.
>
> At this moment translations are simply not on the top of the todo-list
> for dpkg, and we already know that we will need some infrastructure to
> support them properly that does not exist at the moment.

Agreed.

> > What do I have to do to be informed about dpkg development ?
>
> Follow CVS.

I also did, but I just subscribed to dpkg-cvs to ease this task.

> > [*]: ie, I think gettext does what we need, but if you explain what's wrong
> > about that, I'm pretty flexible.
>
> You've already been told a few times that gettext only does a small (and
> simple) part of what is involved.

Ok, I'll try to summarize the problem to face. Please correct me if I'm
wrong.

1) Do the translation
2) Put the translation in the Debian archive
3) Publish the translation, ie make sure it comes to the user hard disk when
   the package gets available, even before it gets installed
4) Use the translation when environment variable is properly set, and when
   the user ask dpkg & Cie about a package.

My patch gives a solution to 4, given that you use the gettext solution for
3, and maybe for 1-3. The ddts give a solution for 1.

[In the rest, when I say 'You', I don't mean 'You, Wichert', but 'You, dpkg
devellopers', or something even larger]

I think your opinion about 1 is that it's a translator issue, and I agree.
But the "Prefect Solution"(TM) have to take their point of view in account,
haven't it ?

You want to handle 2 by putting the translation in the package. That's ok,
but with which form ? There is at least two solutions: in a po file located
somewhere in debian/ dir, or directly in the control file. You prefere the
second solution, am I right ?

3 is pretty hard to handle when you put the translation in a po file, and
simpler when it's in the control file (but this approach leads to others
problems, mainly from the translator point of view).

As far as I understand, you want to take the descriptions aways from the
/var/lib/dpkg/status file, and make several files, one per language. this
would make the status DB lighter, and ease the handle of several languages.

Sorry to annoy you all about translating package descriptions, but that's an
important point for me. I'm willing to help, and the only answers I get are
"you're deadly wrong". So I'm trying to understand how to do it right...

Thanks, Mt.