Re: deb==ar compatability

> I thought it would be a handy to be able to extract debs on the floppies
> without requiring the full functionality of dpkg-deb.
>
> e.g. instead of having a big pre-prepared base.tgz some base files could
> be just extracted from their regular debs.

The only problem with that is expressed in a bug report on dpkg. It does
not honor some symlinks like dpkg would. For example, if you have a
symlink from /var to /usr/var, tar would simply overwrite with a
directory.

Maybe one day we can have the full dpkg in the boot disks, or something
that can atleast mimic enough functionality to do the job for new
installs.