Re: deb==ar compatability

Previously bug1 wrote:
> Hi, im implementing a mini ar command for boot-floppies to enable debs
> to be unpacked by busybox alone.

Out of curiosity, why do you need that on boot-floppies? I know someone
already implemented ar as an awk script for a boot floppy btw.

> Im wondering if your aware of this, and if it is formally specified
> anywhere what the correct behaviour is.

I'm not sure if there is an official spec for the ar format, the
binutils source doesn't reference one iirc.

> Are .debs and .ar files supposed to be functionally equivalent?

A .deb should be complient to the ar standard.

Wichert.

 / Generally uninteresting signature - ignore at your convenience  \
| wichert@liacs.nl                    http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |