Re: deb-cfmgr: Debian conffile prompting tool.

On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 03:54:24PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> Quite, but I'm sure you'll find debconf very able to handle that.
> Basically you will only have one question, with a different default answer
> depending on what dpkg wants (sometimes keep the old file is the default,
> sometimes keeping the new file is). Which ever way, this should be able to
> work in non-interactive, and choose the default (that dpkg decides). Also,
> you should leave the program open enough so that it can expand.

Okay. I'll look into setting up a debconf interface to my program. It
probably won't be in the first release, but I'll add it soon after.

> Some day, I forsee versioned config files that can give the program some
> idea of how important that changes are (based on the version increases).
> Also, a merging interface (I'de really like to see something that can not
> only diff and merge, but selectively merge changes, and also allow the
> user to edit the changes right at that moment in the install). Just
> thoughts, and not all of it will happen, but expect it, and code for
> it.

I'll keep this in mind. By moving the conffile prompting out of dpkg
and into other programs, I think that it'll actually make it somewhat
easier to add functions like the ones you name above. (Because one
wouldn't need to modify dpkg itself, but rather a standalone,
less-critical program.)

[ Snipped discussion about a minimal patch to dpkg. ]

> > Does this alleviate some of your concern?
>
> Yes, my thoughts exactly.

That's good to know. Did you look at the early version of the patch I
sent to debian-dpkg?

--
Tom Rothamel --------- http://onegeek.org/~tom/ ------- Using GNU/Linux
	    Writing from home, just outside Northport, NY.