dpkg non-non maintainer release

dpkg has just arrived at the top of my worklist.  I plan to build and
upload a version of dpkg myself, for a number of reasons:

1. I want to be sure that I can do it.

2. A number of people have reported coredumping bugs, which are really
only possible to investigate for me if I have an unstripped version of
their binary.

3. I want to make sure I know where all the recent changes are and
have come from.

I have a lot of things I plan to do.  Near the top of my queue are:

a. Some kind of hook mechanism, which will make it easier to deal with
things like the menu packages.  I'll post about my design here.

b. Speeding up parsing of the *.list files and status file.  I already
have design ideas, and don't feel the need for any input - I shall
just implement things.

c. Centralise the dependency-handling code, to make it more reusable,
and to make it possible to fix the one or two dependency-related
bugs.  This is quite a lot of work, but again, I don't feel I need
much input.

d. Improvements to dselect's ui.  Lots of small improvements (grep
the code for `fixme').

e. Improvements to dselect's installation methods, many of which are
quite suboptimal.

Opinions on which of these I should do first ?  b is easiest.  I think
that a-c should be done by me.  d and e could easily be done by
someone else.

Ian.