Re: dpkg non-non maintainer release

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Ian Jackson wrote:

> dpkg has just arrived at the top of my worklist.  I plan to build and
> upload a version of dpkg myself, for a number of reasons:
>
> 1. I want to be sure that I can do it.

Hmm, welcome to the horrid+slow world of automake, autoconf and libtool..
Personally I have stopped using them for various reasons.

> 2. A number of people have reported coredumping bugs, which are really
> only possible to investigate for me if I have an unstripped version of
> their binary.

I think this and the assert problem with apache-ssl are the most important
and pressing matters..

> c. Centralise the dependency-handling code, to make it more reusable,
> and to make it possible to fix the one or two dependency-related
> bugs.  This is quite a lot of work, but again, I don't feel I need
> much input.

Hm, is this an internal thing or do you intend for other people (ie me) to
use it?

> e. Improvements to dselect's installation methods, many of which are
> quite suboptimal.

I think someone already mentioned this, APT does a better job of these
ones:
mounted
ftp
http

And it would be fairly simple to write a cover for
nfs
cdrom
harddisk

The only one I don't much intend to support is the floppy method, does
anyone actaully use it enough to warrent a more sophisticated
implementation?

I would add that at versioned provides would be a good addition as well as
a better way for APT to control dpkg, especially in getting detailed
failure reports.

Jason