Re: Debian refcard: call to update translation for Traditional Chinese

For printed documents, maybe Arphic Ming (fonts-arphic-uming) is a good choice, but there are some limitations:

1. Traditionally there is no italic in Chinese typesetting, so for stressing it is better using Hei (Gothic) fonts, for example, Noto Sans CJK, or alternatively, Droid Sans Fallback (fonts-droid-fallback), which is popular in Android prior to Android 5.0.

2. Most of the free typefaces in Chinese (other than Noto Sans CJK/Source Han Sans) do not provide native bold font, and fonts in faux bold looks badly shaped. Could it be possible avoiding them?

(To Holger: I forgot to hit Reply All and the email was sent before I found it was only to you. Sorry.)

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 03:38 Holger Wansing <linux@wansing-online.de> wrote:
Hi,

ChangZhuo Chen (陳昌倬) <czchen@debian.org> wrote:
> * As for font, I think it will be better to use
>   "Noto Sans CJK TC Regular" in fonts-noto-cjk package for Traditional
>   Chinese, and other font for Western character.

AFAICS fonts-noto-cjk package is only in unstable and jessie-backports, so
that's probably not suitable for the buildds? (at least as long as
Jessie is stable)

Holger

Created with Sylpheed 3.5.0 under
        D E B I A N   L I N U X   8 . 0   " J E S S I E " .