Re: Draft for lenny release announcement

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 07:57:03PM +0000, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> On 2009-02-10 11:32, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > On Dienstag, 10. Februar 2009, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> > > We could propably change aptitude into apt-get by a simple
> > > search and replace in the release notes.
> >
> > I think it would be better to explicitly mention this change. Granted, many
> > people never switched to aptitude, but for those who did it would be nicer if
> > we make it explicit.
>
> OK.
>
> > Translations are great, but shouldnt go in the way of providing the best
> > documentation possible.
>
> My question to the release managers: Shall we (editors of the
> release notes, translators, debian-doc@l.d.o) try to change
> "aptitude" into "apt-get" or not? I just have not the experience
> (never used aptitude) to justify the change, but I trust the
> release managers --- in this issue. I need to know, hm, now.

I'm not a release manager, or even a Debian developer, but I remember a
long discussion about which to use -- aptitude or apt-get.  	'm
not even sure where this discussion took place -- it might even have
been on this list.

One of the considerations was that apt-get might not maintain the list
of requested packages that aptitude maintians, so that those who used
aptitude might find themselves in trouble.  I'm not sure what the
resolution of this problem was.

I think there were some specific problems with aptitude, though, and
thought that some of them had been solved -- but only if you upgraded
aptitude first (possibly together with some other software.  Might it
have been perl?)

-- hendrik