Re: Draft for lenny release announcement

On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 23:17 +0100, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> Note, that the release notes still recommend aptitude (which
> I never used, so I'm neither pro nor contra), because it was
> agreed on for the etch release notes and the bug #411280 is
> still open. I would be happy if we (better late than never)
> could close it, but because it's now officially LAte, we have
> to coordinate such a change with the translators. There was a
> lot of discussion about this on the lists, but with no result.

There have been a number of reports that aptitude dist-upgrade would
remove random packages (like the X driver you're currently using) on
upgrade.  I don't think recommending its use in the release notes for
etch->lenny is a good idea at all.

(fwiw, 'aptitude dist-upgrade' on my workstation isn't able to find an
upgrade path. 'apt-get dist-upgrade' otoh finds one almost immediately
which looks reasonable on a quick look)

Cheers,
Julien