Re: Romanian Etch Release Notes fail to build

Webmaster: Please update debiandoc-sgml, see below for details.

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 09:12:23PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Lu,26.ian.09, 14:15:38, Jens Seidel wrote:
> > according to http://www-master.debian.org/build-logs/webwml/release-notes.log.0
> > the Romanian Etch Release Notes fail to build. Also
> > http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/alpha/release-notes/index.ro.html
> > is bogusly encoded.
> >
> > Calling
> > $ make architecture=alpha release-notes.ro.sgml
> > in ro/ generates release-notes.ro.sgml which is encoded in UTF-8. It needs
> > to be converted into latin2 (by simple uncommenting the ENCODING line in
> > Makefile) but this fails:
>
> Please don't. We have switched all Romanian content to the new
> diacritics (commabelow instead of cedilla bellow) for Lenny (or at least
> all content that we were aware of), but this change requires us to use
> UTF-8.

In this case you should also enable the required option for debiandoc-sgml
namely using the locale ro.utf-8 via option -l! I fixed this for you but noticed
that the installed version of debiandoc-sgml on the build host is too old.

Webmasters: Can you update this package to the latest version? What version is
currently installed?

If this is not possible, you, Andrei, have to go back to latin2 (or at least
restrict yourself to characters which can be converted into latin2) as this
worked. Don't forget to also update the encoding in the PO file header which
you forgot the last time.

> > $ iconv -f utf-8 -t ISO-8859-2 release-notes.ro.sgml
>
> As you already found out this won't work. You would have to use
>
> $ iconv -f utf-8 -t iso-8859-16 release-notes.ro.sgml
>
> and the text would be iso-8859-2 (don't ask me why). But anyway, this is
> not necessary or even wanted as explained above. Please use UTF-8
> everywhere for Romanian.

Sorry, the build failure is currently a major problem which also affects
Lenny's Release Notes! Such changes should not be applied without a previous
test!

But you're right. Changing iso-8859-2 to iso-8859-16 in ro/Makefile (and
removing the comment sign) together with replacing the character ă to a (as in
schimbările ==> schimbarile) allows me to build the document as the SGML
can be converted into a by debiandoc-sgml supported locale.
(Nevertheless the .txt file has a broken encoding after this step?!)

Jens