Re: Romanian Etch Release Notes fail to build

[only to debian-doc as per M-F-t]

On Lu,26.ian.09, 14:15:38, Jens Seidel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> according to http://www-master.debian.org/build-logs/webwml/release-notes.log.0
> the Romanian Etch Release Notes fail to build. Also
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/alpha/release-notes/index.ro.html
> is bogusly encoded.
>
> Calling
> $ make architecture=alpha release-notes.ro.sgml
> in ro/ generates release-notes.ro.sgml which is encoded in UTF-8. It needs
> to be converted into latin2 (by simple uncommenting the ENCODING line in
> Makefile) but this fails:

Please don't. We have switched all Romanian content to the new
diacritics (commabelow instead of cedilla bellow) for Lenny (or at least
all content that we were aware of), but this change requires us to use
UTF-8.

> $ iconv -f utf-8 -t ISO-8859-2 release-notes.ro.sgml

As you already found out this won't work. You would have to use

$ iconv -f utf-8 -t iso-8859-16 release-notes.ro.sgml

and the text would be iso-8859-2 (don't ask me why). But anyway, this is
not necessary or even wanted as explained above. Please use UTF-8
everywhere for Romanian.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)