Re: Please create pseudo package "release-notes" for BTS

On Wednesday 08 June 2005 17:23, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> Why not create a release-notes package that provides all the
> documentation (and translation) in the different formats available?

I have stated in my original mail the reason why I think packaging the
Release Notes is not feasible. The package would almost certainly be
outdated at the moment of release which IMO is not acceptable.
(Not to mention that Release Notes may be updated post-release or on point
releases.)

This makes a pseudo package the only feasible way to get proper bug
tracking for the release notes.

> Please read the suggested DDP policy:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ddp-policy/ch-feedback.en.html#s7.1

The first sentence in that link is a very good fallback. However "filing
bug reports to a list" is IMO very much short of ideal as, although it
provides archiving, it does not provide tracking.

I see a real need for proper bug tracking for the release notes (and
several people have asked about it), and as packaging is not an option, I
still feel a pseudo package is the best option.
I let the request stand.

Cheers,
FJP