Re: Simplification of text in Chapter 1 - What's new in the Release Notes

Or you could completely drop discussion of what used to be.
How about:

"Please note that beginning with Debian GNU/Linux 3.1, we only support
and document upgrading from the previous version (in this case, upgrading
from 3.0)."

This avoids the translators looking up "penultimate".