Re: Sarge Release Notes - Call to update translations

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 02:55:54AM +0200, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:

> I fixed this by adding the release-notes files to the dependencies
> of releasenotes.*.html

Seems to have not worked, the HTML file still did_not_ show the updated
Spanish translation when I last looked (now it does).

(...)
> Plus I don't like the fact that some languages may be linked but
> the user may get them through content-negotiation still. I find
> that very confusing...

Publishing the documents is usually the only way for translators to ask for
proof reading since many users cannot grok the SGML sources. Showing that
up to non-english speaking readers when the document is being worked on
(and is not linked) is a minor inconvenience and will only happen, in the
Release Notes case, when you are in the middle of the release. Moreover,
this could easily be fixed by translators by adding a "WARNING: This
document is being worked on" in the header.

In any case, given our release cycle, having out of date documents for one
month when the releases last one year is not that much of a problem IMHO.

You are trying to solve an issue (out of date untranslated documents give
false information and the user might not be aware of this) the wrong way
IMHO. There are other approaches to this issue:

- warnings in the document (that might be automatically included)
- publishing out of date documents or drafts to a separate directory that
does not get linked into

Not publishing draft documents (necessary for proof review) or removing
them entirely is not the best solution and introduces other hoops and
issues when you try to update a new version, as shown in the Spanish case.

This only shows one thing: we need proper enforced revision tracking for
SGML/XML documents in the DDP CVS just like we currently have for wml
files. Maybe we should reuse the tracking mechanism used by the d-i
manual...

Regards

Javier