Re: Fwd: Rejecting NM applicant Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>

[ObPrivate: well, it obviously isn't private, having been crossposted to
-doc.  It would have made more sense to crosspost to -project.  I wish
people would cut this shit out.  Crossposting between -private and a
public Debian list makes *NO* sense.  mark@dulug.duke.edu, I hereby
smack you.]

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 09:54:49AM -0400, Norman Walsh wrote:
> 8. Time passed. Eventually weeks passed. I started feeling guilty
>    about clogging up the process and told Fabio it'd be September at
>    least before I was able to free up enough time to try again.
>
> 9. Fabio suggested that he could either put me on hold or reject me.
>
> 10. I wrote back and said, why don't you put me on hold then.
>
> 11. Fabio wrote back and said sorry, he'd just rejected me.

I don't see anything really wrong with the process until that last step.

Assuming your account to be accurate, I think Fabio's decision to reject
you after giving you the impression that he cared about your opinion on
the subject was rude.

What does it hurt to have people on hold in the NM system?  Are we
concerned that it makes our statistics look bad?  Well, maybe our
statistics look bad because our process *really is* slow.

Treat the problem, not the symptoms.

Mr. Walsh, I apologize if you feel ill-treated.  From what I can tell,
you have a right to feel that way.  Hopefully Fabio will learn from this
experience.

(Fabio, my feelings on this subject are precisely consistent with the
tiff between Daniel Stone and me on debian-x a couple of weeks ago when
he said he'd let me make a decision, and then less than 24 hours later
went ahead and made it for me.)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    It's like I have a shotgun in my
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    mouth, I've got my finger on the