Re: Index ready (almost) for proposed-layout of ftp.debian.org and document database

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 12:50:22PM +0200, David Schmitt wrote:

> * Is it really necessary to talk about directory structure as the first
>   thing? I would assume that a user wants to get to the docs, not to the
>   dirs.

	Ok. I could probably talk first about the DDP (with information
extracted from w.d.o/doc) and move the other stuff to the end.

> * The title of the different documents is not clearly set off from the
>   rest of the text. Perhaps this could be set bold? See also next point.

	Ok. Easy to do.

> * The 'This document is available in the following languages:' part
>   seems very confusing to parse for my eye, because it is very much
>   unstructured information which is even more cluttered by the sprinkled
>   links in it.

	It's quite difficult to do. However my main idea is that while
there are no other index.XX.html besides the english one (i.e. no
translations) keep it that way. When there are more languages english
could have just link to the english documents and other languages would
have links only to the language and english version (due to the english
one being almost always more up-to-date)

 (...)

>   Possible ways out:
>   - Are all translations available in each generated format? Then one
>     could change the order to:
>
>     text: link:espa~nol, link:chinese, ...

	That's not that much difficult to do... but I will need to change
how it's done (the index.pl script currently looks first for language
and after for format).

>     As is done on the bottom of the webpages.
>
>   - As another possibility I would propose a table with lang vs format:
>
>            espanol     chinese    ...
>     text     link        link

	Note that there are over 20 languages for some documents. The
table would get too long (I though about this).

> Hopefully these comments make sense.

	Yes they do.

> I also setup a checkbot-site for the proposed-layout/ directory:
>
>     http://club.josefine.at/david/layout/

	Ok. Thanks, will check.

> Thank you for your time and work!

	Thank you too.