Re: Index ready (almost) for proposed-layout of ftp.debian.org and document database

Hi Javier! Hi -doc!

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 11:34:13AM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> I'm proud to announce the availability of a proper automatic-generated
> index for the proposed-layout I presented a while back which should
> substitute the current layout at ftp.debian.org/debian/doc

Great to see this moving on!

> I would appreciate if people took a look at the index.en.html and
> commented on it.

* Is it really necessary to talk about directory structure as the first
  thing? I would assume that a user wants to get to the docs, not to the
  dirs.

* The title of the different documents is not clearly set off from the
  rest of the text. Perhaps this could be set bold? See also next point.

* The 'This document is available in the following languages:' part
  seems very confusing to parse for my eye, because it is very much
  unstructured information which is even more cluttered by the sprinkled
  links in it.

  Possible ways out:
  - Are all translations available in each generated format? Then one
    could change the order to:

    text: link:espa~nol, link:chinese, ...

    As is done on the bottom of the webpages.

  - As another possibility I would propose a table with lang vs format:

           espanol     chinese    ...
    text     link        link

Hopefully these comments make sense.

I also setup a checkbot-site for the proposed-layout/ directory:

    http://club.josefine.at/david/layout/

Under internal/ Only the problems within the directory tree are listed.
Under full/ all problematic links are listed. At the moment it is run
manually. If you want a regular check, we can arrange that.

Thank you for your time and work!

Regards, David

--
Signaturen sind wie Frauen. Man findet selten eine Vernuenftige
	-- gesehen in at.linux