Re: Release Notes Debian 3.0

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 02:41:29PM +0200, Hubert Palme wrote:

>  J> On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 05:12:01PM +0100, Rob Bradford wrote:
>  >> > I did this and as a consequence, lots packages have been
>  >> > removed.
>
>  J> This shouldn't have happened. Can you produce a full list of packages that
>  J> were removed?
>
> excerpt from the script output:
>
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   abbrowser amor ark console-apt cpp-doc data-dumper eyesapplet fvwm-common
>   gcc-doc gpc kab kabalone karm kasteroids katomic kbear kblackbox kcalc
>   kcharselect kchart kcpuload kcron kdebase kdebase-crypto kdebase-libs
>   kdelibs-dev kdelibs3 kdelibs3-crypto kdepasswd kdf kdict kdm kedit keuklid
>   keystone kfind kfloppy kformula kfract kghostview khexedit kiconedit
>   killustrator kit kivio kjots kjumpingcube kleandisk klpq kmahjongg kmail
>   kmines kmoon knode knotes kodo koffice-libs konqueror konquest konsole
>   korganizer korn koshell kpackage kpaint kpat kpixmap2bitmap kpl kpm kpoker
>   kppp kpresenter kreversi ksame kscreensaver kshisen ksirc ksirtet ksmiletris
>   ksnake ksnapshot ksokoban kspaceduel kspread ksysctrl ksysv ktalkd kteatime
>   ktelnet2 ktimemon ktron ktuberling kugar kuser kview kword kworldwatch
>   libkmid-dev libkonq3 libmng-dev libpgperl libqt-dev librpm1 lilo-config
>   lskat perl-5.005 pixie postgresql-contrib postgresql-pl quanta secpolicy
>   tk8.2-dev xbase-clients xcontrib xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfonts-base
>   xfonts-cyrillic xfonts-intl-european xfonts-scalable xlib6g-dev xpm4g
>   xpm4g-dev xsm
>
> :-(
>
> As you can see, among others the whole KDE and some of X have been
> removed.

The KDE people don't appear to be particularly worried about smooth
upgrades from potato, as those packages were unofficial.

As for the rest, some just don't exist any more (e.g. data-dumper,
gcc-doc), whereas others might be of more concern - although I'm not
sure if anything can be done about them at this late stage. The output
of 'apt-get -o Debug::pkgProblemResolver=1 -u dist-upgrade' would be
helpful, but if you've already upgraded then I suppose that won't be
possible.