Release Notes Debian 3.0

Hi,

on your release notes page

http://www.debian.org/releases/woody/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html

you write in section "3.4 Upgrading":

it is important to upgrade apt, dpkg and debconf before you do the
majority of the upgrade. Apt has been considerably improved since the
previous releases. Debconf is an essential tool which is in extensive
use in recent packages.

                 apt-get install dpkg apt debconf

I did this and as a consequence, lots packages have been
removed. Because e.g. some X packages were removed, the X system was
damaged. After doing the dist-upgrade I had to reinstall all those
packages by hand (thus losing the ingenious authomatism of apt :-()

So my questions:

- Is it really necessary to upgrade those packages before doing the
  dist-upgrade?

- If yes: Shouldn't we better install the statically linked ones
  mentioned in section 3.3.2?

Anyway -- PLEASE remove that bad advice and think over a better
solution!

Nevertheless: Thanks for the great job you do!

Hubert Palme                    Bergische Universitaet Wuppertal
                                      Computing  Center
                                      D-42097 Wuppertal
E-Mail: palme@uni-wuppertal.de             (Germany)
http://www.hrz.uni-wuppertal.de/hrz/personen/h_palme.html