Editors as developers (Was: Re: *** [maint-guide-publish] Error 2)

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> In some sense, some skill to package and understanding of how Debian
> works acted as a good screening to maintain technical competence level of
> people.
>
> David Sewell may fit into this "non-packager developers" better than I
> do.  He has been great technical editor for me.  Without his dedication
> to make document into correct English, my document would have been bad.
> If you find bad English in my document, that means they are new addition
> which David Sewell did not have much time to correct.

Unfortunately David Sewell just got back from a long vacation and now has
in-laws visiting, so he's having some difficulty finding time for work on
documentation editing...! But thanks for the kind words.

However, I think it is reasonable to keep the bar set fairly high for
Debian developers, even "non-packager" ones. Even contributing or editing
documentation requires knowing how the whole development process operates,
how to work with CVS and other developers, etc., and it's a nontrivial
matter to learn all of that.

David

--
David Sewell, Project Editor