Re: Index for the /doc directory under ftp.debian.org

Javier, calm down :)  People, at least me, are not as smart as you expect.

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 04:31:Javier Fern?ndez-Sanguino Pe?a wrote:
> > [...]
> > > 	We'll have to build a policy, but not right now. Right now the
> > > 	issue is to get the (out-of-date) ftp.debian.org:/debian/doc
> > > 	substituted even if its *not* "the best" (tm) layout or if it
> > > 	has some glitches.
Now I remember.  You restarted new thread so I lost track of it.
I was making noise how best to package on another thread.  I got carried
over.

> > > 	Example: the -en.txt.gz vs .en.txt.gz files are due to
> > > 	heterogeneous file naming on the DDP CVS.

That should be addressed as a long term issues.  I agree.
> Ok gosh. It seems nobody understands/reads what I do.  Ok, please take
> a look at http://auric.debian.org/~jfs/NOTES_and_TODO.txt I'm
> perfectly aware ftp.debian.org:/debian/doc is not under CVS control.
> As a matter of fact it does *not* contain published documents, it only
> contains documents that people send in packages using 'byhand' and the
> ftpmaster put there.
> 	Oh dear, I'm starting to think that the main problem is that
> a) people do not understand what I say
> b) I do not express myself properly (English not being my mother language,
> but I thought I was pretty good at it)
> c) people do not read what I post here
> d) random mixture of a, b or c

People has pre-set mind before initiating any form of communication :0
People read but information does not registered to their mind as author
wished because people try to resolve new information by applying these
pre-set mind :)

> 	Ok. AGAIN:
>
>  index.html (http://auric.debian.org/~jfs/proposed-layout/index.en.html)
> is there to "hide" the layout to the users. Yes, it's a draft, yes, it
> does not contain links. The idea is to have a list of all sections
> (explain what they are) with a list of documents (explain what they are
> for) and translations.
>
> 	Obviously index.XX.html should be *exactly* the same regardless of
> what XX is and whether or not XX has documents translated into a given
> language.
>
> 	Have I made myself clear now?

Sorry. Not really.

> 	Yes, you can fix this with symlinks but I'm not going to make it
> for this layout (which is a temporary fix and should be considered as
> such, this is *just* for woody and we should, afterwards, work on a better
> one).

Sounds like anything better than current situation is good start.  I am
happy about what you do though :)

> Now, proper work (for example a database for use to generate the index
> file) is very much more appreciated right now than discussions of
> whether we need /section/language/document/file,
> /section/document/language/file, /language/section/document/file or
> whatever. Please!

Any organization seems to be better for woody.  You needs to convince
ftp master and also modify Makefile(s) to archive your goals.

Good luck.
 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.