Re: Index for the /doc directory under ftp.debian.org

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 11:09:56AM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 12:50:00AM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> >
> > Real question is how simple can we make the Makefile which generates
> > them.  This means we need to consider packaging deb too.
>
> 	No, let's not get into this now. We need something done that can
> be shipped with woody CD's ASAP.
[...]

So why don't you focus on layout?  This 'index' issue is confusing.

[...]
> 	We'll have to build a policy, but not right now. Right now the
> issue is to get the (out-of-date) ftp.debian.org:/debian/doc substituted
> even if its *not* "the best" (tm) layout or if it has some glitches.
>
> 	Example: the -en.txt.gz vs .en.txt.gz files are due to
> heterogeneous file naming on the DDP CVS.

No, it has nothing to do with CVS.  ftp.debian.org:/debian/doc is not
under CVS control, it contains published documents.
Josip gave valuable arguments for .xx vs. -xx naming convention, and I
can't see yours, sorry.

I also do not like where you put the language directories.  I prefer
something like
       <file1>.<lang>.html   <file2>.<lang>.html   <file3>.<lang>.html
       <file1>.<lang>.txt.gz <file2>.<lang>.txt.gz <file3>.<lang>.txt.gz
All documents must be listed, even those not translated in current
language, in order to give users a chance to find them.  This is
achieved with symbolic links, either on files or on directorues.

Denis