Re: Index for the /doc directory under ftp.debian.org

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 12:50:00AM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> Real question is how simple can we make the Makefile which generates
> them.  This means we need to consider packaging deb too.

	No, let's not get into this now. We need something done that can
be shipped with woody CD's ASAP. All the layout was done manually (see the
"moving_around" file. We will need something automatic to move stuff from
klecker to auric for later on but I'm not going to try to do it now.

> Also easily finding some documents without English maybe a factor to
> consider.  Current scan script is very English centric.

	What do you mean here? Most documents are almost in English.

> See my other post for debian-reference (qref) packaging for my thoughts
> on packaging.

	We'll have to build a policy, but not right now. Right now the
issue is to get the (out-of-date) ftp.debian.org:/debian/doc substituted
even if its *not* "the best" (tm) layout or if it has some glitches.

	Example: the -en.txt.gz vs .en.txt.gz files are due to
heterogeneous file naming on the DDP CVS. And I'm not going to fix them if
I cannot do it.

	Steps I will take:

1- make a proper index.html with the README and pointing to the files
(currently only has texts) so the browsing problem (directory layout) does
not confound novic users

2- try to fix some issues with the layout

3- (later on) modify DDP's Makefile so we add a publish-to-ftp target.
That way klecker can build all the stuff with this layout in a proper
directory that auric can retrieve periodically for the ftp site. Note that
we will have to retrieve documentation from the WWW CVs site too

	Javi