Re: Index for the /doc directory under ftp.debian.org

> So why don't you focus on layout?  This 'index' issue is confusing.

	No it's not. See below.

> [...]
> > 	We'll have to build a policy, but not right now. Right now the
> > issue is to get the (out-of-date) ftp.debian.org:/debian/doc substituted
> > even if its *not* "the best" (tm) layout or if it has some glitches.
> >
> > 	Example: the -en.txt.gz vs .en.txt.gz files are due to
> > heterogeneous file naming on the DDP CVS.
>
> No, it has nothing to do with CVS.  ftp.debian.org:/debian/doc is not
> under CVS control, it contains published documents.
> Josip gave valuable arguments for .xx vs. -xx naming convention, and I
> can't see yours, sorry.

	Ok gosh. It seems nobody understands/reads what I do.
Ok, please take a look at http://auric.debian.org/~jfs/NOTES_and_TODO.txt
I'm perfectly aware ftp.debian.org:/debian/doc is not under CVS control.
As a matter of fact it does *not* contain published documents, it only
contains documents that people send in packages using 'byhand' and the
ftpmaster put there.
	*However* published documents in the DDP CVS, which I retrieved to
build the proposed-layout (see http://auric.debian.org/~jfs/moving-around)
manually. These documents do not follow the a convention for -XX or .Xx.

	I agree with Josip in this issue (yes, he convinced me) but I'm
not going to changed this in the layout, this should be changed in the DDP
CVS.

> I also do not like where you put the language directories.  I prefer
> something like
>        <file1>.<lang>.html   <file2>.<lang>.html   <file3>.<lang>.html
>        <file1>.<lang>.txt.gz <file2>.<lang>.txt.gz <file3>.<lang>.txt.gz
> All documents must be listed, even those not translated in current
> language, in order to give users a chance to find them.  This is
> achieved with symbolic links, either on files or on directorues.

	Oh dear, I'm starting to think that the main problem is that
a) people do not understand what I say
b) I do not express mysefl properly (english not being my mother language,
but I thought I was pretty good at it)
c) people do not read what I post here
d) random mixture of a, b or c

	Ok. AGAIN:

 index.html (http://auric.debian.org/~jfs/proposed-layout/index.en.html)
is there to "hide" the layout to the users. Yes, it's a draft, yes, it
does not contain links. The idea is to have a list of all sections
(explain what they are) with a list of documents (explain what they are
for) and translations.

	Obviously index.XX.html should be *exactly* the same regardless of
what XX is and wether or not XX has documents translated into a given
language.

	Have I made myself clear now?
	Yes, you can fix this with symlinks but I'm not goint to make it
for this layout (which is a temporary fix and should be considered as
such, this is *just* for woody and we should, afterwards, work on a better
one).

	Now, proper work (for example a database for use to generate the
index file) is very much more appreciated right now than discussions of
wether we need /section/language/document/file,
/section/document/language/file, /language/section/document/file or
whatever. Please!

	Best Regards

	Javi