Re: cvs commit to ddp/manuals.sgml/securing-howto by jfs

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 10:34:03AM +0200, Javier Fern?ndez-Sanguino Pe?a wrote:
> (please, don't quote the full message, only the relevant parts(
>
> On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 08:05:45PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> >
> > We would certainly appreciate your help, Brian and Larry. I proofed
> > about 30% of the document last night, and I was really flagging after
>
> ?really flagging? Don't know the expression and wether it's good or bad :)

I just meant I was getting worn out.

> Besides grammar corrections, in any case, I would appreciate a technical
> proof reading in order to determine if the things I talk about are
> appropiate. I have donde tests on my own computer for some issues (chrooting
> SSH for example, or using makejail, pam_chroot, configuring bind) as well
> as in production environments at work.

I'm not very qualified on that front, but what I read did make sense. I would
suggest keeping any substantive changes in a separate patch from merely wording
changes, because translators can ignore or just skim wording/spelling patches.

I did have a couple of questions. I revised this paragraph to read thus:

  <item>Debian is always trying to improve the overall security of the
  distribution for starting new projects, like automatic package signature
  verification mechanisms.

But I wasn't sure if that was really the intended meaning of the original.
I understood the origiinal was trying to highlight Debian's security activity,
but I wasn't quite sure if I got it right.

Also, in one example, 'cp /dev/null' is used. Could/should 'cp /dev/null' be
replaced by 'touch'?

> Some other issues, however, have been copied from mailing list answers, or
> been sent by contributors, but I have not been able to test them fully.
> In any case I expect people at debian-security to help with the technical review
> too (but nobody stepped in to help yet)
>
> 	Thanks in advance for your work :) I'm starting to think it
> just might get to a point where it will be a document worth offering to a
> publisher (as "Securing Debian GNU/Linux" [1] [2]) probably after integrating
> some other (common to all Linux distributions) information in there.

There certainly is a lot of information here, and many helpful examples.

|      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
|        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
|                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |