Little changes (Re: Original & Translation)

Hello,

I have been quite silent these last months while working on different
LDP projects.

Some are now ready:
 - i18n
 - domain name
 - email
 - ldp shirts and polos
 - ldp summer meeting

Others will soon be announced.

1. I18N

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 02:54:27AM +0000, Martin WHEELER wrote:
> __Linux Documentation - in languages other than English__
>
> This site provides pointers to finding Linux documentation in languages
> other than English -- also pointers to individual authors; and specific
> language groups.

There was a project last year to ease non english access with
subdomains, which failed for many reasons like DNS woes and too much
debates on which was the simplest way.

The main website will remain the way it is, but now every language will
be treated equally. More informations below.

2. Domain name

For many cybersquatting and legal reasons, after extensive legal
conseling with a lawyer (the kind of lawyer teaching at Harvard), we
decided to "move" to another domain.

Every other option was considered :-(

It's not really "moving" to a new domain, we will keep supporting the
old linuxdoc.org domain, but we will prefer the new domain whenever
making links.

ldp.org or whatever were not available, so the new domain is "tldp".
For political reasons (I'm now a member of the GNU project and I
strictly separate these 2 involvements) we choose to avoid any "g"
letter in the new domain name and keep it as close as possible to the
LDP. TLDP stands for "The Linux Documentation Project".  Quite close
indeed.

What exactly will happen?

- http://www.linuxdoc.org and links will still work as usual - the
  address may be rewritten to show our new name ala
  ibiblio/metalab/sunsite but everything will work fine, don't worry!

- http:///www.tldp.org (The Linux Documentation Project) will be the new
  domain name for the international website, i.e. linuxdoc.org.

- Mirrors will be available from CC#.tldp.org
  Ex: http://de1.tldp.org for the 1st german mirror of the current linuxdoc.org

- The "local" LDPs will be available from http://CC.tldp.net

Ex: http://fr.tldp.net will take you to the french LDP

Each language team will be free to use its own domain (like traduc.org
for the frenchs, kldp.org.kr for the koreans) - we would just like to
ease access.

Of course, if a language team wants to move to the new country-code
domain, that would be great! We can delegate 3rd level names.

To give a good example, a new english-only page with direct access to
the HTML documents will be available on http://us.tldp.net, since some
people complained the current linuxdoc.org website was too generic and
information was hard to find. The current website will be kept intact on
tldp.org for compatibility reasons (with maybe some little explainations
on the new country code schema)

So :
 - if you like the change, you'll use us.tldp.net
 - If you don't really like them, you'll use tldp.org
 - If you really can't stand any change, plain old linuxdoc.org will be fine

3. Email

Some authors change their email and can not be reached. Many others
complain about spam.  We will therefore provide simap addresses.

The format is : title.type@CC.tldp.net and firstname.lastname@CC.tldp.net

Ex: uucp.howto@us.tldp.net, guylhem.aznar@us.tldp.net - use whichever
you prefer or both, but be sure to retreive your email.

We were considering aliases, but it may cause some problems and remove
the biggest advantage of these addresses: an email which will never
change.

Should I decide to drop the UUCP HOWTO, uucp.howto@us.tldp.net will
always take you to the current maintainer.

Should I move from 7un back to ibiblio or get an AOL email,
guylhem.aznar@us.tldp.net email will still reach me.

4. Shirts

T shirts and polos with the LDP logo will be available soon. They should
sell for around $15. $3.50 for each shirt sold will go to the LDP, with
an additional 7% of the benefit the company selling the shirts make.

We may consider additional agreements to sell other goodies.

A separate link will be available on the website, since many people would
like to help us or show their support. No banner or any advertisement
will be used - selling stuff will only be a way to help the LDP. For
example, we may try to gather linux books and ship them to 3rd
world LUGs again.

5. Summer meeting

The first LDP summer meeting was held in Chapel Hill, NC. This year
summer meeting will be held in Bordeaux, France, during the last 2 days
of the LSM (http://lsm.abul.org) hosted by the ABUL (Bordeaux LUG)

It will be an excellent opportunity to meet eachother, especially for
europeans authors.

A separate documentation meeting will be held in the first days, to
improve the LDP collaboration with other documentation projects. It is
not the same meeting. Should you be interested, please email me.

If you want to come to the LDP meeting, we can provide housing and food
(we are selling shirts and the Abul will give us very low rates ;-) to
authors who are also students, unemployed or can't pay for any other
reason.

If you are in that case, please contact me privately. There is no way we
can play for transportation - find a way to get to Bordeaux and we will
then take care of you.

Any feedback is welcome, and I hope I will be able to post more good
news soon.

Guylhem

--
/¯¯¯¯|  |¯| |¯|  |¯/¯¯¯| Guylhem P. Aznar         {7un.com;7un.org,externe.net}
 ¯¯| |  | | | |  | |¯| | (@oeil.qc.ca>>@metalab.unc.edu>>g@7un.org)  [7un!sony]
  ¯| |  | |_| |  | | | | FR,EN,ES,DK http://7un.org/geekcode http://7un.org/gpg
   |_|  |_____|  |_| |_| Smørrebrød er ikke Mad, og Kierlighed er ikke Had...