Re: Volunteer Raising Ugly Head... ;-)

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 05:55:30PM +0800, Onno Benschop wrote:

> >Another idea that's come up before is an FAQ for debian-user.
>
> This is the only suggestion I received, but jumping in head-first always
> hurts, so may I ask if there are others who think this is a good idea?

	I do. Since I saw a problem regarding Java and Debian due to lack
of knowledge for end-users, I wrote the debian-java-faq (now in the DDP
and in the base java-common package IIRC) after going through a year-long
archive of mails from the debian-java mailing lists, which was quite some
work.
	The document is "more or less" stable now, and after I made it I
found a problem: I could take a year-worth mail and make the FAQ but I
could not get the time to update it with every issue that came along the
way. I am not sure if it's a little out-of-date now, but this kind of
documents should be kept up to date by people with enough spare time (and,
hopefully, interest in the issues related to the document).

	A debian-user FAQ is quite more work that the debian-java-faq but

a) if you take some time to go through quite some threads
b) if you take time to update it (or seek help from debianplanet, for
example)

	it would be a great document to have (could be sent regularly to
the list, maybe once a month BTW :)

	Javi