Re: additions to faq/

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 07:48:51PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> Note that there's only one SGML source file for the Developers' Reference or
> the New Maintainers' Guide, and sixteen different SGML source files for the
> FAQ (or for example twelve such files for the Installation Manual).

Our junior-doc package intends to be the latter sort, not the former.  It
currently stands at one .sgml, but expect that to balloon upwards to
several as the documentation matures and begins needing some restructuring
into more manageable chunks (particularly important for collaborating on a
multi-authored doc).

Besides, I see no advantage in doing it one way for single-sgml packages
and another for multi-sgml.  As I see it, every single doc package has the
potential to become multi-sgml at some later stage in life anyway, either
by adding new documents or splitting the original into more manageable
individual files.  So why make work by having to reorganize translations
into subdirs later?  We might as well just say that translations should
always go into "xx" subdirs of the directory the document is in, where
"xx" is the language abbreviation.  (Are there any doc packages that do
this already?  I haven't found the time to do a thorough survey of the
debian-doc CVS tree yet.)

Ben