Re: additions to faq/

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 02:15:49PM -0300, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> > I also think it's NOT useful to have my CVS directory (containing the
> > English version) plastered with files for your translation. If everyone
> > else does that, it will become a huge mess. Please move *.ru.* files into
> > a subdirectory.
>
> OK, that brings up a good question, then, because I was about to pattern
> my junior-doc package (in Incoming) after developers-reference, which
> would have *.xx.* for each translation of each doc I include in the
> package.
>
> So, standards anyone?  What standards are there for providing translations
> in DDP doc packages?  I'd like to take a good doc package template and
> just drop my docs into it instead of having to mix-and-match from various
> existing .deb packages.  I started by patterning my package on doc-debian,
> then found developers-reference and thought I'd either mix bits in from
> there, or repackage from scratch.  But now it seems even that is
> shortsighted (doesn't scale well, dir ends up "polluted" with many *.xx.*
> versions of doc)

Note that there's only one SGML source file for the Developers' Reference or
the New Maintainers' Guide, and sixteen different SGML source files for the
FAQ (or for example twelve such files for the Installation Manual).

With the documents that are made of a single file, it's no problem to put
the translations in the same dir, but with the others...