Re: additions to faq/

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 04:11:31PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> I also think it's NOT useful to have my CVS directory (containing the
> English version) plastered with files for your translation. If everyone
> else does that, it will become a huge mess. Please move *.ru.* files into
> a subdirectory.

OK, that brings up a good question, then, because I was about to pattern
my junior-doc package (in Incoming) after developers-reference, which
would have *.xx.* for each translation of each doc I include in the
package.

So, standards anyone?  What standards are there for providing translations
in DDP doc packages?  I'd like to take a good doc package template and
just drop my docs into it instead of having to mix-and-match from various
existing .deb packages.  I started by patterning my package on doc-debian,
then found developers-reference and thought I'd either mix bits in from
there, or repackage from scratch.  But now it seems even that is
shortsighted (doesn't scale well, dir ends up "polluted" with many *.xx.*
versions of doc)  It seems there should be a ddp-template, or at least
in the README a reference to whatever the DDP considers the "best, most
up to standards" package(s) that new document packages should be based on.

What I want my doc package to do is the following:

1. hooks into DDP CVS (I don't want to maintain my own CVS, thanks)

2. integrates with my project's website (i.e. I should "publish" into
   w.d.o/devel/debian-jr/doc)

3. supports translation (I have offers so far to translate into
   Portuguese and German)

On this last point, what's the current thinking?  That translated doc
packages should all be generated from a single source which produces
multiple deb files, one per language?  e.g. junior-doc.deb (english),
junior-doc-de.deb, junior-doc-pt.deb, etc.

Seeking some guidance here.

Thanks,
Ben