Re: Volunteering & suggestions for improving documentation

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 02:01:09PM +1100, Adam Brown wrote:
> We'd like to commence a linux course here in Melbourne using Debian as
> the preferred distribution. Rather than re-invent the wheel and write my
> own course notes I figured a better investment of my time would be to
> assist the Debian documentation project to improve its documentation.
>
> Redundant, obsolete and unfriendly documentation is one of the major
> hinderances to new Linux users.
>
> Areas for improvement I can think of:
> Providing a systematic, simple, consistent, comprehensive and elegant
> (and probably a few more adjectives I missed) documentation structure
> throghout Debian.
> Eliminating redundancy
> Eliminating obsolete documentation
> Eliminating waffle

I agree the documentation needs cleaning up, but some amount of redundancy
can be useful in some cases.

> My immediate interest is in a making improvements to the installation
> documentation and eliminating some redundancy here.

As http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/ says,

   A lot of effort has been put into the Debian Installation Manual, however
   some parts of it still need work, and much of it is not yet updated for
   Debian 2.2. This particularly applies to details specific to the ARM
   architecture, and to some of the non-English translations. If you wish to
   contribute changes, contact the debian-boot mailing list. You can browse
   the documentation sources (which are in DebianDoc SGML) via the CVSweb
   interface or check them out using CVS.

The links are:
debian-boot@lists.debian.org
http://cvs.debian.org/boot-floppies/documentation/