Re: language error at http://www.debian.org/releases/2.2/i386/ins tall

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 11:58:45AM -0400, Jay Treacy wrote:

> Could you visit http://cgi.debian.org/cgi-bin/headers.pl for me?
> It will send me the http headers your browser is sending.

I received 3 header dumps. The relevant parts are given below
with some comments.

HTTP_USER_AGENT=Mozilla/4.06 [en] (Win95; I)
HTTP_VIA=1.1 esprx01.nokia.com (NetCache 4.0R3)
REMOTE_HOST=esprx01kpn.ext.nokia.com
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE=en-US,en-GB

This browser probably receives the wrong language when viewing Debian
pages, independent of whether the cache is working correctly. As explained
in http://www.debian.org/intro/cn.en.html you should use en without
the country codes. Although the problem is with a rather rich company
ignoring the http spec (anyone surprised?), we are working on having
apache work around the problem.

HTTP_USER_AGENT=Mozilla/4.72 (Windows 95;US) Opera 4.0  [en]
HTTP_VIA=1.1 esprx02.nokia.com (NetCache 4.0R3)
REMOTE_HOST=esprx02kpn.ext.nokia.com

This browser did not send any language information. Unless the
cache is broken, which wouldn't surprise me, it should have
receive the english version when viewing Debian pages.

HTTP_USER_AGENT=Mozilla/3.01Gold (Macintosh; I; 68K)
HTTP_VIA=1.0 proxy.superweb.nl:8080 (Squid/2.2.STABLE4)
REMOTE_HOST=proxy.superweb.nl
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE=en, Dutch, nl, Dutch/Belgium, nl-BE

This browser should receive the Debian pages correctly - unless squid
is misconfigured or broken. IIRC, older versions of squid did not
handle content negotion properly. Is 2.2 new enough? I have no idea.
2.2.5 is the version in Debian 2.2. Also, the browser is sending
extraneous information. It should simply send 'en, nl, nl-BE'.

Although content negotiaton is handled invisibly and correctly for the
vast majority of people, you may be getting the impression that it
could have been designed better and (definitely) implemented better.
If you got this impression, you would be correct.

I hope the above helps.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org