Re: Doc Needed: The Debian Way

On Wednesday 17 November 1999, at 15 h 57, the keyboard of Mark Small
<mark@satlantic.com> wrote:

> something that Debian really needs to have is a short doc about the
> "debian way" of doing things.  What I'm thinking of is a short summary
> of the features that make debian different (better?)

It is a very good idea but I suggest to change it a bit: the most important is
not a propaganda text (we are the best) but a guide (not a HOWTO, we already
have man pages) of the "Debian Way". Most mistakes I see on Debian machines
are made by people who come from RedHat or Solaris or just read any random
"Linux for lobotomized" book and break things that way.

We need a text explaining:

- everything under /usr/local is yours, leave the rest (except /etc) to dpkg,
- use apt,
- /etc/alternatives,
- recompiling source packages,
- the BTS,
- etc

Just explanations of the concepts, and directions to the man pages.

Now, the tough question: who will write and maintain it?